Granite countertops are usually seen at high-end households or upper-end homes, however, this interior feature that everyone is looking for, granite countertops are considered a very popular commodity among many households, not just for its aesthetic appearance, but for its sturdiness and style.
If you are looking for a granite countertop for your home, here is what every buyer should be aware of about granite countertops as what most people do not know of. It is essential for you to know some important information about granite selection countertops to ensure that you only choose a product that is not just beautiful, but also sturdy and long-lasting.
- Choose an under-mount sink– For manufacturers, they usually cut the granite countertop that you purchase to fit it to your sink during the installation. Under-mount sinks need more cutting than the drop-in sinks that is why it is more expensive so, it is best advised to buy the sink before you purchase the granite countertop.
- Choose a think granite countertop– The most commonly available thickness of a granite countertop is ¾ inches, however, these are very fragile and needs to be laminated on its edges and supports as well that makes them also the affordable type of granite countertop, however, this one that might disappoint you more. You can choose an inch-thick countertop, despite paying more for it; however, you will get more superior quality.
- Check for any cracks and pits– Although this adds the natural beauty to the stone, however, this can sometimes also make it more fragile and prone to damage, especially when the thickness of the countertop is lesser than an inch. Also, ask the stone fabricator or the seller for any explanation of how these imperfections can affect the quality of the stone, and whether it can cause any harm or not.
- Choose a custom-designed edge that can fit your cabinet’s detail– Just so you know, not all the granite countertop fabricators will let you customize the stone slab’s edges, however, those that can provide you with this extra service for the countertop, you should take advantage for it since it is not just for a more appealing appearance, but also it can fit better with your home. If the standard is fine for you, you can then bevel edges that are a very popular choice for many.
- Consider choosing a seamless granite countertop– Although it will cost you a fortune, however, by choosing those using seamless countertops, it will look better and the surface will also be smoother. Seams tend to look bad over time, however, when your countertop is freshly installed then it would be totally fine for it since it may take up to ten years for it to see the visible wear and tear and damages that make you decide to replace it eventually.
It can be in your best interest in purchasing a granite countertop from the best providers in your area, as you can reach to them at any time, you should also visit showrooms to get more granite options as well as to save on transport and other logistical costs.